CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The latest......

My radiology ultrasound was at 9am this morning. It was an interesting experience to say the least. I had to have a full bladder, which sucked! The strange part was the fact that neither Brian or I were allowed to see the screen during the ultrasound. Apparently, our appointment was scheduled as an emergency, so hospital policy is that the doctor must be the one to disclose the results. It was quite irritating.

After our appointment with radiology, we had to go to the OB clinic to have the results given to us. Surprisingly, we weren't waiting too long. The doctor that we saw today was really nice....another surprise. And, that is where the surprises ended.

The ultrasound didn't show any growth. Actually, I am still measuring at 5 weeks 5 days. There doesn't seem to be evidence of a yolk sac within the gestational sac either. That is concerning, but apparently not concerning enough to schedule a D&C.

So....what do we do now?

We wait. Yep....still waiting.

I have another appointment on Friday to recheck my beta levels and have another ultrasound. At that point, if there is no progress we will schedule a D&C.

While that may be a terrible result, I feel a huge sense of relief. I feel relief for a number of reasons. While the appointment was ultimately a negative one for the pregnancy, we got a lot of questions answered. If I do in fact have to have a D&C, the next step is a fertility workup for both Brian and I. Just knowing that they are taking my history seriously, and acknowledging that two miscarriages are concerning, helps ease my fears. Brian will have his workup done before he leaves for NTC at the beginning of May. Mine will be done after my hcg levels have returned to a non-pregnant number. The results generally take 2 weeks to come back, so by the time Brian gets back from NTC we should be able to go over the results with a genetic counselor. The doctor did mention that it is rare that anything concerning ever comes back, but it can't hurt to check. Another relief is that if a D&C is done, they will send the tissue off to pathology to have them test. It isn't extremely likely they will find anything other than a chromosomal abnormality as the cause of the miscarriage, but at least they are being proactive. Finally, and perhaps the most comforting aspect of today's appointment, we were told that when I do become pregnant, I will be considered high risk and followed closely in my first trimester. This makes me feel so much better as I was afraid military doctors would just lump me into the category of just another pregnancy. So, knowing they are going to take extra precautions and keep a closer eye on me....well, that makes me feel so much more comfortable.

So, while the outcome of this appointment may not have been what we were hoping for, it was productive nonetheless.

So, we are back to waiting.

1 comments:

Heather said...

Waiting is the hardest part. I am happy to hear that you are accepting of the heartbreaking news. I guess there isn't a whole lot else you can do other than accept it and go on.

It is great to hear that they will be treating you as high risk with the next pregnancy. It is nice to know that they are taking this seriously.