CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Opinions please!

I am having a bit of a disagreement, and would like some opinions for clarification. Please feel free to chime in!

The question:
Are all babies blessings?

For example, if a 16 year old girl gets pregnant, is her baby a blessing? Now, I admit that the initial fear a 16 year old must be faced with when she discovers she is pregnant is probably overwhelming. I acknowledge that fear, and understand the gravity of it. I am well aware that the situation is not ideal, and that she will have to figure out the financial aspect and a number of other responsibilities will need to be addressed. That being said, does that make her baby any less of a blessing?

What about the woman that has 5 kids and is on welfare and gets pregnant with her 6th child? Is that baby a blessing as well? Understandably the baby will be another baby supported by welfare, but is the baby any less of a blessing?

I suppose my point is, that the situation set aside, the circumstances aside, is the BABY any less a blessing because the circumstances are not ideal?

I guess I ask this because I feel that all babies are blessings. The mere fact that an innocent, beautiful baby is created overshadows the fact that the situation may not be the best. I am aware that not everyone is going to be excited about having a baby, but I cannot see how it makes the baby any less than a miracle. I believe that if one does not want to conceive a child, don't. I know that accidents happen, condoms break, some are not responsible enough to take their birth control, etc. However, there are WAY too many people that are damned with infertility for me to consider that babies are anything less than a miracle.

Also, it is not the baby's fault that they were conceieved when the timing isn't right. Why should that baby be forced to hear how they "ruined everything," or "forced [the parent] to grow up," or "is the reason [the parent] didn't have a normal teenage life or money for this, or whatever.

What do you all think?

2 comments:

Whitney Bean said...

I feel that ANY baby is a blessing. When you think about that small chances each month of actually getting pregnant and all that the body has to go through there must be a reason for bringing that child into the world. If you are not responsible enough to take care of it then there are many families out there that cant have any of their own and just because they arent ready doesnt make that child any less important to someone.

Mary said...

I believe each and every baby is a blessing. We don't always plan our babies or when they come along into what circumstances, but God does. Just because He doesn't tell us his plan doesn't mean some babies are "mistakes".

My daughter's friend, age 17, found out she was pregnant. It meant a lot of stress for her parents and her. This 17 yr old then lost her mom to a sudden cancer when she was 20 weeks pg. Now she has a beautiful baby girl named after her mother, this baby is a gift of love and strength to a 17 yr old who needed lots of it.